The 2012-2013 Marketing Committee, co-chaired by Donna E. Fletcher (Donna E. Fletcher Consulting, Inc.) and Elizabeth Neill (Bellwood Public Library) is committed to helping Illinois libraries become more effective marketers.
Sharing expertise has long been central to the profession of librarianship and is a key element of library culture. As all libraries work through a period of tremendous technological and cultural change, the exchange of ideas among library staff is more important than ever.
Both large and small libraries need to market themselves. The Marketing Committee wants to help librarians and directors promote their libraries and products as effectively as possible, however limited their resources.
To ensure that librarians throughout the State of Illinois have access to expert advice on library marketing, the Marketing Committee is planning five key activities this year:
- A Talk Table at the October ILA Conference in Peoria at which librarians can get one-on-one coaching and advice on library marketing issues and questions;
- A relaunch of the Marketing Committee’s blog, “Illinois Libraries Matter;”
- Planning a full day track of library marketing programs at the 2013 Chicago ILA Conference;
- Recasting of “Library Snapshot Day” to focus on telling great library stories, and to expand to all of National Library Week (April 14-20, 2013) to give each library maximum flexibility to participate;
- Working with support staff on library marketing issues at the 2013 Reaching Forward Conference.
Illinois Libraries Matter
As part of its effort to create a community of library marketers in Illinois, the Committee has decided to relaunch the Marketing Committee blog, “Illinois Libraries Matter,” with fresh, frequent and relevant content.
Committee members and guest bloggers will write each week about marketing projects and issues in current library marketing practice, with an emphasis on tips and advice based on concrete experience.
We hope you will sign up to receive blog posts in your email and that you’ll comment on posts that interest you. Through the blog, we hope to create a conversation about library marketing in Illinois.
Marketing Committee members include Catherine Bailey (Helen Matthes Library), Cris Cigler (Indian Prairie Public Library), Molly Coleman (Hinsdale Public Library), R. Toby Greenwalt (Skokie Public Library), Shauna Porteus (Bloomingdale Public Library), Tammy J. Sayles (Western Illinois University) and Sue Wilsey (Niles Public Library District).